Once the purpose of assessment is clear, the basis of assessment practices can be developed. To ensure that assessments are relevant and meet the needs of the learners/candidates and those of the organisation, it is important to decide which assessment approach to follow.
The Foundation of any outcomes-based assessment approach is:
- • Assessment is based on national unit standards.
• The purpose of assessment should always be made explicit.
• Specific outcomes are assessed.
• Assessment is an on-going part of the learning and development process.
• The assessment practice needs to be relevant to the specific outcomes and should not create barriers.
It is important for assessors to choose an assessment approach that will allow them to collect appropriate evidence.