The negative audience and hidden agenda
Anyone making a presentation must recognise that members of the audience can be negative to your ideas or have a hidden agenda they want to fulfill.
The larger your audience organisation the more likely there is to be a negative audience or hidden agenda.
Who could be negative to your ideas?
• People who, though not in a direct reporting relationship upwards or downwards from you, will be affected by whatever action you propose.
• People who see a threat to themselves or their own particular area in your proposed action.
• People who are in direct competition for money, space, prestige or position.
What do you do about a negative audience?
• If your presentation is in opposition to their ideas, try to present both sides.
• If you can’t answer all their concerns within your speech or presentation, be prepared for questions.
• Be prepared for hecklers